Krispy Kreme is looking to expand their concept into South Africa and is keen to find a good local partner for their franchise here. The company’s Vice President is looking forward to coming to South Africa in the week of February 17th for meetings with selected candidates.
About the Company
Krispy Kreme is an international retailer of premium-quality sweet treats, including its signature Original Glazed® doughnut. The company sells an assortment of food and beverage products, and has a number of product platforms within their doughnut range including yeast raised doughnuts, cake doughnuts, doughnut holes, mini doughnuts and doughnut pops. Additionally, Krispy Kreme offers a broad range of beverages – from drip coffee to espresso based beverages to frozen beverages. They also sell bottled/packaged beverages including soft drinks, milk, water and juice. Outside the U.S. they sell a baked platform of products called Baked Creations which include sweet and savoury options.
The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
Internationally, KKD’s retail stores are owned by local franchise partners. They have a mix of store types, from factory stores (approx. 25% depending on market) which make the product, to fresh shops and kiosks where the product is delivered to. Their international stores often resemble a Starbucks type setup.
Key Criteria for Candidate/Area Developer
- Proven track record in the QSR/restaurant/retail industry
- Entrepreneurial spirit and experience in South Africa
- High level of commitment to customer service
- Resident in the franchise area
- Financial capability to fund multi-unit growth. KKD wants the franchisee to be the owner/operator of all stores. They do not allow sub-franchising
- HCPA conformity
- Experience in the retail food market (mainly QSR), ideally with existing operations in the market that can be leveraged for shared resources for start-up efficiencies
- Not directly in the doughnut business
Those interested in this opportunity can contact:
Commercial Specialist – Healthcare and Franchising Sector
U.S. Embassy, Commercial Section
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reference: The Franchise Association of South Africa – www.fasa.co.za.