Shapes for Women Fitness and Weight Loss Studios are dedicated to helping women across the globe achieve their fitness goals. We provide a fun and friendly environment where, in just 30 minutes, women of all fitness levels can improve the way they look and, more importantly, the way they feel about themselves. Our exercise system consists of an eighteen-piece training circuit, alternating strength and toning machines with aerobic stations. We utilise bi-directional adjustable hydraulic equipment which has been designed especially for women and develops lean muscle, increases metabolism, and improves bone density, helping to prevent osteoporosis, while burning calories!
Shapes for Women is South Africa’s first express fitness chain designed exclusively for women. The first two gyms in the chain were opened in February 2005 and there are now about 30 branches around South Africa and one in Kuwait.
The Shapes for Women concept is based on a fitness model which has been hugely successful in the USA and Canada and is now proving successful in Europe, Latin America, Australia and elsewhere. The exercise programme works, with women losing centimetres and kilograms and generally feeling good about themselves.
The concept is aimed at women who want to reap the benefits of a good exercise programme, in a comfortable, fun, no pressure environment.
Shapes for Women will be different from the existing gym concept in South Africa in a number of ways:
1) Most existing gyms in South Africa target the 18-35 year old age group. There is very often a fair amount of one-upmanship and peer pressure in these sorts of gyms with the right physical appearance, clothing and even accessories becoming a near-obsession amongst gym goers. Shapes for Women, on the other hand, is ideal for women of all ages who want to work out without any of these pressures and without feeling as if they are constantly on display. There are no airs and graces and no ‘dress code’ in Shapes for Women gyms – women are welcome at the gyms as they are and as they feel comfortable. There are also no men in Shapes for Women gyms – just a few ladies all wanting to get the same thing out of their exercise programme, namely, a personal level of fitness and sense of well-being in a secure, relaxed, yet upbeat environment.
2) The Shapes for Women workout takes 30 minutes in total. That’s it – in and out in 30 minutes. In order to achieve noticeable improvements, three sessions a week are recommended. That’s 90 minutes of good aerobic and strength training per week – less time than one workout might take at some other gyms. The concept caters for South Africa’s modern day woman who doesn’t have a lot of time to spend on exercise.
3) Shapes for Women is a circuit-based routine. There are no classes, so ladies can come and go as they please without worrying about keeping up with other gym goers who might be fitter or younger than themselves.
4) Shapes for Women’s machines do not use weight stacks, but rather small adjustable bi-directional hydraulic cylinders. The level of resistance is determined by how fast one moves the particular piece of equipment. This allows for people of different abilities, strengths and fitness levels to use the same equipment without major adjustments being necessary. In addition, the hydraulic cylinders minimise the risk of injury whilst exercising.
5) The gyms do not have a pool, sauna, etc. Shapes for Women will simply be a place for our clients to come in, work out and be on their way – all in 30 minutes. In this way, gym-goers won’t land up paying for a whole host of facilities that they never use. The gyms do, however, have showers, changing rooms and toilets – allowing one to exercise on the way to, or even during, work.
6) The Shapes for Women workout is fun and interactive – our clients and staff talk to each other and encourage one another.
7) Rates range from about R220 per month to about R300 per month, depending on the length of the contract. All prospective members are encouraged to come and try Shapes for Women free of charge before signing up.
8) The Shapes for Women facilities are staffed by women only.
The Shapes team assists franchisees with site location guidelines, exercise science and operational training, sales and marketing training and support, as well as administration and financial management training. A fulltime Franchise Officer provides immediate help and support with all aspects of the business.
Shapes for Women is looking for outgoing, creative, customer-orientated franchisees who have a passion for improving the lives and wellbeing of women through fitness and healthy eating. Although beneficial, previous fitness industry is not essential.
1st Franchise Opened
No. of Outlets
Average set-up cost
Initial franchise fee
Initial Working Capital
Minimum owners contribution
Management services fee
Initial agreement term
Fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly.