Sherpa Kids started in 1996 in New Zealand, by Dawn Engelbrecht soon after emigrating from South Africa. She bought her children’s after care centre and has subsequently build Sherpa Kids into a leading international childcare franchise. The focus of the business is outside school hour’s care in primary schools. The service is offered to schools at no cost and reduces their current burden if they run the current on-site aftercare themselves or provides a quality bench marked alternative to their current outsourced independent private provider, does not cost parents more than they currently pay, offers franchisees a low risk opportunity in a high demand, high growth sector and most importantly provides children with quality care; not simply free play or basic child minding.
Sherpa Kids currently operates in Australia, England and Ireland, and opening in Canada next year. Sherpa Kids programmes run in over 155 primary schools.
Sherpa Kids is the only internationally bench marked outside school hours (after care/ holiday care/ before school care) childcare provider in South Africa which is accredited by both ACEAQA (Australian Children’s Education & Care Quality Authority) and OFSTED in the UK. Sherpa Kids programmes run in over 155 primary schools in New Zealand, Australia and the UK and have recently launched in Canada and Ireland too. This international edge will provide a competitive advantage to schools that is unreplicable in terms of international bench marking and quality delivery.
Initial is two weeks of formalised training. One week of this is on-site directly in the live operational environment. National Business Development team assists franchisees in securing school site. On-going support is through the quality assurance and operations team who oversee quality improvement plans and training interventions. Additional training in first aid, behaviour management, business administration and planning. Strategic direction and mentorship is a key value add to franchisees.
Sherpa Kids is a fast growing company in a fast paced and extremely important industry and is looking for savvy business owners.
• Do you enjoy working with children?
• Do you enjoy making a change and difference in your community?
• Do you feel it is important to fulfill a community need, helping parents to balance the demands of work and home?
• Do you want to build a business that you can grow continuously?
• Are you seeking a business that you manage – work on the business not in the business?
• Are you looking for a business with low initial investment?
Sherpa Kids is seeking entrepreneurs that can challenge, manage and have the desire to drive several school sites (known as a territory) and engage closely in these communities.
• You do not need to hold industry qualifications but your key staff at each site must hold the appropriate qualifications. Our model is a little different. You are allocated a cluster of schools that becomes your territory.
• Your territory is determined by a key number of enrolled students at these primary schools that are located near each other.
The primary schools are a mix of government schools and independent sector schools
1st Franchise Opened
No. of Outlets
Average set-up cost
Initial franchise fee
Initial Working Capital
Minimum owners contribution
Management services fee
Initial agreement term
Fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly.