SUBWAY™ was founded by Fred Deluca and Dr Peter Buck who opened their first restaurant in Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA in the summer of 1965. By 1974 the duo owned and operated 16 submarine sandwich shops. They realized that franchising was the way to grow their operation further, and so launched the concept that has seen the SUBWAY™ brand grow to more than 44 000 restaurants in more than 100 countries and is the #1 restaurant chain in total restaurant count with more locations than anyone else in the Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) industry.
As a SUBWAY™ franchisee you are entitled to establish and operate, from a single location, a retail establishment preparing and selling Foot long and speciality sandwiches, salads and other food items. All SUBWAY™ restaurants are required to adhere to the SUBWAY™ standards and policies regarding food preparation and food safety.
At SUBWAY ™ customers enjoy a customized sandwich, freshly prepared while they watch. Since there is no grease and no grill, worldwide SUBWAY ™ has been proclaimed a healthier eating option. In the rest of the world the interactive experience of a SUBWAY™ meal distinguishes it from other restaurants. “It’s a very interactive process, with the customer and the sandwich artist making the perfect sandwich.”
The menu is designed to set SUBWAY™ apart and offers customers value for money and indulgence while still providing healthier options. Versatility is part of the service as all subs can be changed into a salad.
The target for the SUBWAY ™ franchise’s media buying is adults aged 18 to 49 and includes students, health enthusiasts and working professionals.
When a franchisee has identified a location for the establishment of an outlet they are required to submit a location approval request for their proposed site following which SUBWAY ™will conduct a review of the proposed site. If approved, SUBWAY’s associated leasing company will arrange the lease, with SUBWAY™ as the lessee and the site is then sub-leased to the franchisee.
SUBWAY ™ is proud of the excellent support systems available to its franchisees. On-going support is provided before and after you open your store. As soon as you join the SUBWAY™ team, you’ll have access to help to get you started. Once open, systems are in place to help you operate your location effectively.
– Access to formulas and operational systems
– Store design and equipment ordering guidance: (You will be provided with floor plans for your specific location)
– Site Selection: (You will be assisted in evaluating the location for your business)
– Lease negotiations:( Will assist in negotiating the lease so that you are protected and get a fair deal)
– Training programme: (You and your designee or manager will take part in our intensive two-week programme)
– Operations manual: (SUBWAY™ restaurants’ in-depth manual covers a full range of topics important to running your business)
– Pre–opening and opening assistance: (Representative onsite during this period)
– Marketing support
– Monthly store evaluations/visits by Field Consultant
– R&D / Product development
– Informative publications: (Regular newsletters, e-mails and voice-mails, DVDs and additional learning tools are also available)
Franchising is all about working to a tried and tested system and it is vital that franchisees are able to work within the parameters of the SUBWAY™ system’s processes and procedures. The ability to take advice and guidance from others is a key attribute of a successful SUBWAY™ franchisee. Franchisee must be motivated, passionate; goal orientated and is hands on.
1st Franchise Opened
No. of Outlets
Average set-up cost
Initial franchise fee
Initial Working Capital
Minimum owners contribution
Management services fee
Initial agreement term
Fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly.