Rob Topham founded Trappers Trading in 1976 after ‘coming upon’ a consignment of winter coats in the Durban harbour which he sold onto battling farmers in the Natal Midlands. A cold winter and favourable prices ensured that all of Rob’s coats were sold out. As a result the first Trappers outlet opened in Pietermaritzburg shortly after stocking locally made workwear and farm supplies.
The demand for a wider range of outdoor products soon materialized and it wasn’t long before the local Trappers store served most midland farmers and outdoor enthusiasts with everything from gumboots to Leatherman Tools.
Trappers quickly built a reputation for providing communities with reputable outdoor brands at affordable prices from someone they knew and trusted and this philosophy still holds true today.
In 2003 Mark and Grant Ponting acquired the business and have expanded on this platform in Gauteng, Mpumulanga, Limpopo, North West and Free State provinces.
Once you have been approved as a franchisee, signed the Franchise agreement and have paid the franchise fee, Trappers will provide you with the following:
◦ Assistance with the conclusion of a lease or rental agreement with the landlord.
◦ Assistance in the design, development and commissioning of the new store, the cost attached to these are part of the development cost.
◦ Should you require capital The Trappers Franchise has a relationship with certain commercial banks to which you will be referred.
◦ There is a 2 week head office & in-store training programme once your store has been commissioned.
◦ Assistance with the opening of your store. The Trappers Staff will help you prepare the store for opening and provide general assistance and guidance to you in the running of your store.
◦ Access to the Trappers Intellectual Property (know-how), the loan of all Trappers Operations Manuals which contain operating procedures, and general reference materials for guidance in running a store.
◦ Personnel, experienced in all facets of our system, who are available on an on-going basis for operational support and guidance.
◦ The right to use Trappers trademarks, which are applicable to your franchise in connection with the operation of your store for the term of the franchise.
◦ Marketing of the brand and assistance in marketing specific to your store.
Each application will be evaluated on individual merit; however the evaluation criteria are as follows:
◦ Retail Management experience, at least 3-5 years.
◦ An understanding of how franchising works.
◦ Available capital to set up the business.
◦ Owners are expected to operate the business themselves.
◦ A positive attitude and good people skills.
◦ Agree to undergo psychometric testing.
◦ Not afraid of long hours and hard work.
◦ Service culture.
1st Franchise Opened
No. of Outlets
Average set-up cost
Initial franchise fee
Initial Working Capital
Minimum owners contribution
Management services fee
Initial agreement term
Fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly.